Affordable Ways To Update Your Bathroom
Updating a bathroom can be a great way to add value and functionality to your home, but it can also be a significant expense. We spend more time in our bathrooms than we realize, and it’s important to maintain and update it when necessary to keep things like mold and moisture from doing unrepairable damage. Thankfully, there are so many bathroom updates that you can most likely complete on your own. In this article, we will explore a lot of the ways you can improve your bathroom without spending too much money. In the end, with time, patience, and maybe a little research, hopefully you have a bathroom you love that is stylish, clean and functional.
Here are 25 DIY ideas to get you started:
- Paint the walls a new color or add a fresh coat of paint to the existing color.
- Replace old and outdated hardware with new fixtures.
- Upgrade your lighting fixtures or add additional lighting for a brighter space.
- Add new towels and bath mats for a pop of color and texture.
- Install new cabinet hardware and repaint existing cabinets.
- Add a new shower curtain or update your shower door.
- Install a tension corner shower caddy to keep shower essentials organized and within reach.
- Replace your faucet and/or sink for a fresh, modern look.
- Install a new toilet seat and lid to clean up your toilet.
- Hang new wall art or add a new mirror for a decorative touch.
- A new shower curtain to instantly update the look of your bathroom.
- Add new shelving or storage for a functional and organized space.
- Install a rain shower head for a spa-like experience.
- Add scented candles or diffusers to keep the space smelling fresh.
- Repurpose an old piece of furniture to make a new vanity.
- Install a new medicine cabinet for added storage.
- Update your flooring with vinyl or laminate tiles.
- Add a new plant or flowers for a touch of nature.
- Declutter by getting rid of old and unused toiletries.
- A bathtub tray to hold books, candles, and other relaxing items while you soak.
- Swap out old or outdated shower tiles for a clean and modern look.
- If you can’t replace your tiles, add a fresh coat of grout to make your tiles look new again.
- Replace old or stained caulking around the sink, tub, or shower.
- Install over the toilet storage for added convenience.
- Upgrade your bathroom fan for better ventilation and air flow.
These are just a few ideas to get you started on updating or improving your bathroom on a budget. With a little creativity and resourcefulness, you can achieve a beautiful and functional space without breaking the bank.
What type of paint should I use on my bathroom walls?
When it comes to painting a bathroom, it is essential to choose the right type of paint that can withstand high humidity levels and prevent moisture damage. The best type of paint to use in a bathroom is a high quality, 100% acrylic latex paint with a glossy or semi-glossy finish. Acrylic latex paint is water resistant and dries quickly, making it ideal for bathrooms with high humidity levels. Glossy and semi-glossy finishes are also great choices for bathroom paint because they repel moisture and are easy to clean. These finishes create a smooth, non-porous surface that prevents water from penetrating the walls or ceiling. It is also important to prepare the bathroom walls properly before painting. Make sure to clean and dry the walls thoroughly and apply a coat of primer before painting to ensure a smooth and even finish. Also remember that while choosing the right paint is crucial, it is equally important to ensure proper ventilation in the bathroom to prevent moisture buildup. Consider installing a fan or opening a window during and after showers to reduce humidity levels and prevent mold and mildew growth.
What plants thrive in a high humidity environment like a bathroom?
One plant that thrives in high humidity is the Boston Fern. This plant enjoys moist conditions and can be an excellent addition to your bathroom. It requires indirect light, so placing it near a window that doesn't receive direct sunlight can work well.
Another great plant for high humidity environments is the Spider Plant. It is known for its air purifying properties and can thrive in low to bright light. It also enjoys moist conditions, making it a perfect choice for the bathroom.
The Peace Lily is another option that can handle the high humidity in a bathroom. It enjoys low to medium light and moist soil, making it a great plant for bathrooms with little natural light.
If you are looking for a plant that can add a touch of color to your bathroom, the Orchid is a great choice. This plant requires high humidity and indirect light to thrive. It can be a bit tricky to care for, but with the right conditions, it can bloom beautifully in your bathroom.
How do I descale my current bathroom fixtures if I don’t want to replace them?
If you have noticed a buildup of mineral deposits, soap scum, or other grime on your bathroom fixtures, it's time to descale them. Fortunately, there are several ways to remove this buildup without having to replace your bathroom fixtures. Here are some tips to help you descale your bathroom fixtures:
- Vinegar Solution: One of the easiest and most effective ways to descale your bathroom fixtures is by using a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water. Soak a cloth in the solution and wrap it around the affected area, leaving it on for about an hour. Then, remove the cloth and rinse the fixture with water. For tougher stains, you can soak the fixture in the solution overnight.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is another natural option for descaling bathroom fixtures. Cut a lemon in half and rub it directly onto the affected area, or soak a cloth in lemon juice and apply it to the fixture. Leave the lemon juice on for about 30 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Baking Soda Paste: For tougher stains, you can make a paste with baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the affected area and leave it on for about 30 minutes before scrubbing with a brush or cloth. Rinse the fixture with water and repeat if necessary.
- Commercial Cleaners: If natural solutions do not work, you can try using a commercial cleaner designed for descaling bathroom fixtures. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and wear gloves and protective eyewear.
Remember to always test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the fixture first to ensure it does not cause damage. With these tips, you can descale your bathroom fixtures and restore them to their original shine without having to replace them.
With a little creativity, you can give your bathroom a fresh new look. Whether you opt for a fresh coat of paint, new hardware, or some decorative accessories, there are plenty of affordable ways to update your bathroom. By focusing on small changes that make a big impact, you can create a space that feels modern and stylish, without the need for a major renovation. So why wait? Start planning your bathroom update today, and get ready to enjoy a space that feels brand new, without the hefty price tag.